Welcome to Beacon Pathway
Beacon’s mission is creating homes and neighbourhoods that work well into the future and don’t cost the Earth.
We do research and demonstration projects to show New Zealand:
- How our homes can be warmer, drier, healthier, affordable, cost less to run, and low carbon
- How our neighbourhoods can be adaptable, sustainable and a place people enjoy living
What we do
- We produce robust research and package information in useable forms, such as tools or simple consumer information
- We work together with other organisations on projects to bring about change
- We offer our knowledge and expertise in projects that fit with our vision and goals
- We believe in the power of demonstration and experiential learning.
Who we work with
We partner with a wide range of organisations across the housing sector:
- Research (e.g. BRANZ)
- Government (e.g. MBIE, EECA)
- Manufacturers (e.g. NZ Steel)
- Developers (e.g. Ockham Residential)
- Social housing providers (e.g. CORT Community Housing, Kainga Ora)
- Industry groups (e.g. NZ Property Council)
Our wide network is wide enables us to bring together partners in a collaborative project.
Beacon’s research investigates how to design and build new homes which are warmer, drier, cost less to run, and low carbon.
Most of our houses are already built – Beacon’s research asks how do we make these healthier and more water and energy efficient?
Beacon has developed tools to assess neighbourhood sustainability and good practice medium density for New Zealand.
Beacon has a large knowledge base of research that is publicly available. It covers achieving good home performance in new homes, retrofitting older homes to high standards, making neighbourhoods sustainable, and designing good practice medium density.
Learn about …
Check out what former Eco-Design Advisor Ian Mayes thinks about positive pressure ventilation systems.
- Symposium – Turning Research into ActionBeacon Pathway is holding an end-of-year symposium to share insights from our work turning research into action. For almost 20 years Beacon has been carrying… Read more: Symposium – Turning Research into Action
- Do you want to help Beacon achieve its mission?Are you passionate about improving the performance of New Zealand’s homes and neighbourhoods? Do you understand what it takes to deliver high quality action research… Read more: Do you want to help Beacon achieve its mission?
- Support Curtain Call and close the gapThank you for supporting Curtain Call. On Wednesday May 24th we launch our campaign urging the public to help us ‘close the gap’, by signing… Read more: Support Curtain Call and close the gap