We are committed to using research and projects to show New Zealand:
- How our homes can be warmer, drier, healthier, cost less to run, be adaptable for the future, and use less resources.
- How our neighbourhoods can be adaptable, sustainable, and a place where residents enjoy interacting, working, living and relaxing locally.
- How our communities can be resilient and strong, and work together.
Designing and building new homes - our demonstration projects:
- Warmframe duplex at Hobsonville
- High Performance House at HIVE
- NZHF HomeSmart Home
- Waitakere NOW Home
Measure and value neighbourhood sustainability in New Zealand.
Check out the services and expertise we can offer your organisation
- Share our knowledge
- Robust tools and help to use them
- Expert advice from our team
- Experience in scoping and running projects
- Bringing together partners in collaborative ventures
Come here to find:
- Resources for homeowners
- Resources for practitioners
- Resources for local government
- Resources for central government
- Conference, symposia papers and study tours
New on the website
A Cost Tower of actual construction costs of affordable and social houses in Auckland in 2015
The Beacon Blog
Verney Ryan says one learning in increasing density from Vancouver, Seattle and Portland, is to make the most of opportunities, especially with brownfield sites.
Read our latest blog at
Find out what we’re up to on Facebook
Beacon’s original research programme included work on:
- Indoor Environment Quality
- Market Transformation
Based on our research and demonstration projects, we have developed resources for homeowners, councils and industry.
- Performance of Rental Housing Resource - review of legislation, agencies and interventions in rental housing More
- Home Performance Advisor training More
- Policy options for sustainable homes: A resource manual for local government - Information and examples to support councils in developing policies and programmes which encourage sustainable building and renovation. More
- Making your home HomeSmart: A homeowner manual - What to watch out for when renovating, and how to get the best performance from your home. More
- Neighbourhood Sustainability Framework and Assessment Kit - The tools to assess the sustainability of both new and existing neighbourhoods. More
- National Value Case for Sustainable Housing - This policy document assesses the value of making sustainable interventions across New Zealand’s housing stock. More
- Unflued gas heater fact bank - Why unflued gas heaters are dangerous for your health and pocket. More