The High Performance House at HIVE
The High Performance House, built at the Home Innovation Village (HIVE) in Christchurch, brought together an innovative new building system, Warmframe™, with the High Performance Houses™ design and other sustainable technologies. The house showcased the benefits of off-site construction (lower build costs and speed and quality of construction) and excellent performance (warm, healthy, energy and water efficient, low running costs).
The house was part of a larger programme of innovation - the New Category of Home project - which aims to find housing solutions which are high performing, modular and suited to producing volume housing, but which also reduce the time and cost of construction. The project is a collaboration between industry partners (NZ Steel, Frametek-RFS, InsulPro, Fletcher Aluminium and Resene), and has been facilitated and project managed by Beacon Pathway.
The HIVE show home
The High Performance House was designed by Salmond Architecture using their High Performance Houses designs. These use combinations of pavilions and links with a range of options in cladding, roof type and fit-out available to customise each home.
It incorporated a range of sustainable features to ensure that it would provide great ongoing value for future owners. These included:
- excellent thermal performance (warm even indoor temperatures throughout the house, reduced heating need, little indoor moisture or condensation)
- energy efficiency (generating energy for water heating and power, lower energy use for lighting/appliances/heating, considerably reduced utility bills)
- water efficiency and resilience (lower water use for tapware, showers and appliances, rainwater reuse, water available during water outages)
- sustainable and healthy products (recycled and recyclable materials, low VOC coatings and adhesives, sustainably sourced timber).
The High Performance House was the first trial of the new Warmframe™ building system, developed as part of the ongoing collaborative programme. Consequently, the performance of the house and Warmframe™ was tested and monitored.
03-Sep-2014 (Conference paper PRES/48)
Nick Collins and Lois Easton
Presentation to the Building a Better New Zealand Conference 2014. Covers learnings from the off-site construction and later sale of the HIVE High Performance House.
31-Aug-2014 (Report HIVE/1)
Andrea Blackmore, Lois Easton
This report acts as a repository for the learnings from the first trial of offsite construction of the Warmframe system and of selling the system through a demonstration show home at the HIVE Home Innovation Village in Christchurch.
30-Sep-2012 (Publication )
HIVE High Performance House Floor Plan (PDF 133KB)
- Features of the High Performance House
- Monitoring and results of the High Performance House
- Our High Performance House partners